Writing a review for moving companies
Writing the company name and something along the lines of “They did a good/lousy job” will hardly help anyone. You need to be specific and provide useful, objective information that will give your potential readers a clear idea about what they can expect from the moving company in question.
Here are the steps to writing effective and helpful reviews of moving companies
1. Write the name of the moving company you hired for your move (make sure you spell the name correctly as many moving companies have similar names) and provide some basic information about your relocation – size of your move, pickup and delivery locations (relocation distance), time of your move (relocation date), required special services, condition of your goods upon delivery, final moving cost, etc. These facts will help readers identify the similarities and differences between your move and theirs.
2. Rate the overall performance of your chosen moving company. Evaluate your movers’ work and rate their services as excellent (5 stars), good (4 stars), average (3 stars), unsatisfactory (2 stars) or poor (1 star).
3. Tell your moving story. Think of a review subject that reflects your overall moving experience and give a detailed, but succinct account of your moving adventure (make sure you describe the events in a chronological order, so that your readers understand the situation well and get your message):
Share your first impressions – Were the movers polite and helpful? Did they readily provide you with their legal and contact information (full company name, physical address and telephone number) and agree on an on-site estimate?
A. Go over the pre-move period – Did the movers perform a thorough and professional in-house survey? Did they answer all your questions in a satisfactory way? Did they comply with your requirements and preferences? Were you provided with all the necessary documentation? Did the movers give you useful advice on how to best prepare for your move?
B. Talk about Moving day – Did your movers arrive on time? If not, did they give a reasonable explanation and apologize for the delay? How careful were they when handling your items? How fast and how hard did they work? Were they polite and well-mannered? Were there any misunderstandings or problems? Were there accidents?
C. Describe the specific services your movers provided – packing, disassembly of furniture, hoisting, etc. – and evaluate their work;
D. Tell the end of your story – Were your items delivered on time? Were there any damaged or missing items? If yes, did the company reimburse you for the loss or damage? Were there any disputes with the movers and how were they settled?
E. Last but not least – Was the final moving cost the same as (or very close to) the one in the estimate? Do you think the cost was fair? Did the movers try to overcharge you?
4. Assess your overall moving experience. Summarize your thoughts in two or three sentences to let your readers know if you’re satisfied with the way your chosen movers handled the relocation process and if you’re happy with the final results of their work. Make it clear if you’re recommending that company to other home movers or warning them to stay away from the household goods carrier in question.
5. Provide your contact information – your name and your e-mail address (required for activation purposes).
6. Attach relevant files or photos to prove the validity of your moving story (optional).
7. Go over your moving company rating review one more time to make sure all the information is correct and everything is the way you want it to be. When ready, submit your review.
Good to remember: Your moving review will be posted when you click the activation link you’re going to receive on your e-mail address.